Attend In Person OR Online
Explore the history and significance of Musical Theatre Dance in the American Musical Theatre genre. Musical Theatre Dance has evolved through the years thanks to many significant choreographers. We will examine the work and style of many of these influential choreographers that have helped shape and mold the American Musical into what it is today. Each week we will discuss different choreographers and their contributions to Musical Theatre. Examples and video footage of choreographers and their dances will be shown and discussed. Additionally, we will focus on what makes each choreographer unique regarding their style and how they work to advance the musical’s narrative. This course will celebrate the works of Agnes DeMille, Jerome Robbins, Bob Fosse, Gower Champion, Michael Bennett, Susan Stroman, Jerry Mitchell, Andy Blankenbeuhler, and many others.
Hybrid Course Format
- All classes will be delivered in-person and online via live video streaming. Students will enroll in their preferred format during registration.
- In-person classes will be held in the Rubel Room at the University of Arizona's Poetry Center (1508 E Helen St, Tucson, AZ 85721). Enrollment for in-person classes is limited by classroom capacity and offered on a first-come, first-served basis. All students attending on-campus will observe the relevant University of Arizona policies designed to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 (more information here). Students who enroll to participate in person will also have complete online access to the course, including all class recordings.
- Online students may attend all classes via live video streaming and will be able to participate in all course Q&A sessions with the professor in real-time. Students may also access class recordings for a limited time to assist those who may not be able to attend the live class times. Online access will be password protected and only available to enrolled students.
Registration Will Open Online:
Monday, August 29, 2022, at 8 AM (AZ Time)
- Cramer, Lyn Creating Musical Theatre: Conversations with Broadway Directors and Choreographers ISBN: 1408185326.
- Additional readings available on the HSP learning portal.
- Gottfried, Martin All His Jazz: The Life and Death of Bob Fosse
- Lawrence, Greg Dance With Demons
- Wasson, Sam Fosse